Sr. Property Accountant
New York, NY
The Sr. Property Accountant applies generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) to analyze financial information, reconcile financial statements, prepare general standard journal entries, assist in budget development, and prepare standard accounting and financial reports for management.
- Reviews budget, revenue, expense, payroll entries, invoices, and other accounting documents and researches and resolves discrepancies as necessary.
- Performs bank reconciliations and wire transfers for deposit, makes mortgage payments and distributions, and ensures accuracy.
- Maintains and coordinates accounting control procedures by analyzing revenue and expenditure trends and recommending appropriate budget levels to ensure expenditure control.
- Analyzes and reviews accounting and financial resources for property acquisitions, dispositions, and closings and budgets and expenditures for local, state, federal, private funding, contracts, grants, and other corporate financial and accounting transactions.
- Acts as liaison to internal and external auditors by explaining journal entries and financial transactions, providing research data and information as requested, and answering questions necessary to complete the audit in a timely manner
- Communicates with on-site and other property managers to assist in completing pre-close and close activities, answer questions, provide support, and ensure timely completion of accounting processes for on-time client and company reporting.
- Completes various financial, accounting, administrative, and other reports and analysis, and performs other duties as assigned or as necessary.
- CPA preferred
- 4-5 years experience in similar position.
- Demonstrated ability to work with 3rd party property management and "map data" between systems, using Yardi Residential software.
- A combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates the application and usage of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Demonstrated ability to read, write, and communicate effectively to prepare and explain financial data to board members, senior managers, staff, and internal and external auditors.
- Demonstrated proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet, property management (Yardi or One Site), and database management programs in order to complete required reports.